Hone Oil D is a very low viscosity, specially compounded, non-volatile oil with full lubrication properties and a comparatively high flash point. It does not contain kerosene and is free from the many objectionable features associated with the use of this material.
Hone Oil D is recommended for use in cylinder bore honing of hard and soft cast iron and steel liners. It is also suitable for flat honing operations on cast iron, lapping and super finishing. In comparison with the coolants normally used, i.e. kerosene and mixture of kerosene with lubricating and lard oils, Hone D offers the following advantages:
- Improvement in surface finishes with existing grade stones.
- Elimination of scoring.
- Appreciable increase in stone life (increase from 10% to 50% have been effected).
- Employment of finer grade stones, further raising the standard of finish.
- Increased rate of stock removal and reduction of operating time.
- Cracking of stones reduced to a minimum.
- Increased refrigeration, resulting in cooler boring and absence of distortion.
- Greatly minimised fire risk.
- Considerably reduced consumption, reductions up to 80% having been recorded compared with kerosene.
- Reduction in skin irritation.
- Generally cleaner conditions and improved shop hygiene by elimination of kerosene vapour from the atmosphere.
- Idle time on the machines reduced.
Precautions should be taken to keep the oil in good condition. It should be periodically removed from the machine for reconditioning. Suitable filters or high speed centrifugal separators installed in the coolant circuit should be employed wherever possible to keep the fluid clean and free from fine swarf and abrasive grit. Magnetic filters are also excellent where a high standard of surface finish with absence of score marks and grit penetration is desired.