Heat Transfer Oil
Heat Transfer Oil 22, 32 & 46 is a high performance product intended for use in closed indirect heating systems, but can also be used in an open heating system at a lower temperature range.
It is formulated from highly refined base stocks that are resistant to thermal cracking and chemical oxidisation. It has good heat transfer qualities and the viscosity is such that it can be pumped easily at start and up temperatures. The flash point of this oil will not decrease significantly during service owing to its resistance to thermal cracking at the recommended operating temperature.
Heat Transfer Oil 22, 32 & 46 is recommended for use in both closed and open, cold- oil sealed, indirect heating and cooling systems where bulk oil temperatures are as outlined in the table below.
Bulk Oil Temperature Range
|Heat Transfer Oil||Closed System||Open System|
|ISO 22||-7 to 315°C||-7 to 160°C|
|ISO 32||-7 to 315°C||-7 to 180°C|
|ISO 46||-7 to 315°C||-7 to 200°C|
Heat Transfer Oil 22, 32 & 46 should not be mixed with other oils as this will affect the heat transfer properties and stability of the oil. If the oil is used above the recommended maximum temperature, fluid life will be shortened.
The system should be free of hot spots, which will degrade the oil and cause a carbon formation. The oil should circulate through the system with a fully turbulent flow, at a surface speed of between 2 and 3 metres per second depending on the surface geometry of the system and the operating temperature.
The system should:
- The circulating pump must start before the heat is applied.
- The circulating pump must continue to run for some time after the heater is turned off.
- The heater will cut out in the event the pump fails or the temperature rises excessively.
- High resistance to thermal cracking and decomposition.
- Excellent thermal properties.
- Good low temperature fluidity.
- Freedom from sludge and coke deposits.
- High heat transfer rates.
- Easy starting at low temperatures